Minutes of the Committee Meeting of the
Albrighton & District Civic Society
held at 31/32 High St, Albrighton,
on Monday 5th December 2016 at 2pm

Present :       
Peter Woodman - Chairman
Rod Smith – Secretary
Mike Pitchford - Treasurer
Bob Hickson
Peter Illes
Gaynor Richards
David Thomas (ex-officio representing Boningale PC)

1. Apologies received from Ron Kidson, John Bulmer, Peter Leigh and. David Beechey (ex-officio representing Donington-with-Boscobel PC)

2. Minutes of Meeting of 7th November 2016 were approved with one correction: Treasurer’s Report - the £10 was spent on Plants and not Bulbs.

3. Treasurer’s Report.– MP reported that he was in discussion with Michael Ward concerning the grant from Alb PC.
Some parish councillors had questioned who had funded the first 4 Planters. MP would provide a report for PW to take to the parish council meeting -  briefly the first 3 Planters were funded as follows:-
£  434 from Parish Council (28%)
£1100 from Civic Society Funds (72%)
£1534 Total (ie £511.33 each)
MP managed to obtain the 4th Planter at no cost (as a replacement for the 3rd Planter which was delivered damaged but which the Civic Society then repaired and put back into place)..
Balance at bank today was £2087.74.
MP reported that the Co-op has funds available for suitable community projects

4. To consider progress in regard to following main issues

a) Village Entrances Scheme. MP reported that the Society had paid £170 to David Marshall Contractors to cut the grass verges at A464/Patshull Lane and asked why the Society is paying for some grass to be cut and noted that verge grass cutting was usually the responsibility of Shropshire Council. ACTION: PW would again ask Anne Breakwell at SC if she would add these verges to those to be cut by their Contractor.
It was agreed that no more new work on any new Entrances will be carried out by the Society unless an agreed maintenance regime is established.

b) Eyesores. BH said that he had reported the very untidy front garden of the house at the corner of Windsor Rd and Woodland Close to Steve Brown (SC) to see if they could do anything. BH had notified the potholed surface of the car park at the High St end of Meadow Rd to Steve Brown – no response yet.
BH was pleased to report that his contact with Royal Mail had resulted in the painting of two Post Boxes and he would follow up to ask for the remaining two to be painted. ACTION: BH

c) Swimming Pool.  It agreed that the Society would not expect or wish to be part of any Trust established to take control of the pool from SC.

d) Station Pedestrian access Ramp. RS reported that a meeting of the Ramp Team took place on 15th November to get the project back on track. Extract from Notes of that meeting:-
RS reminded the Ramp Team meeting that the Ramp Team had been established by Mark Pritchard at the meeting 3 years ago to manage the project and to liaise with the other parties (such as NR, EE, LMT, SC etc) and was made up of representatives of the Parish Councils and the Civic Society and chaired by the Chairman for the time being of Albrighton Parish Council. The idea was that by having the Chairman of Albrighton Parish Council as the Chair of the Ramp Team it demonstrated to the other parties that its activities were overseen by the Parish Council which would eventually be the owner/controller of the Ramp. The first chairman of the Ramp Team had been Cllr Beechey and when his term of office as chairman of Albrighton Parish Council was over the chairmanship passed to Cllr Pledger. When her term of office ended in the summer of 2016 and Cllr Harrison was elected Chairman of the PC she wished to carry on as Chairman of the Ramp Team. This matter was discussed by the Parish Council who passed the resolution of the matter to the Ramp Team. RS proposed that the matter be as intended by Mark Pritchard and that the Chairman of the Ramp Team be Cllr Harrison, current Chairman of the PC, and this was agreed by a show of hands. Rod Smith was confirmed as Secretary, Ramp Team.
RS reported that RS and PW had established a good working relationship with Adam Checkley of Network Rail and had wanted to discuss with him the new lighting and also some aspects of the Heads of Terms. However, unknown to RS and PW, Cllr Sylvia Pledger as Chairman of the Ramp Team had written to NR to advise that that they were only to deal with her and when RS contacted Adam Checkley he said that he was unable to discuss matters until this matter of who to deal with in Albrighton was resolved.
It was agreed that Cllr Phil Harrison would write to Adam Checkley as the new Chairman of the PC and also new Chairman of the Ramp Team to say that RS and PW would be making contact and would he please revert back to dealing with them.
Mark Pritchard, MP, had written to Network Rail to ask that they make the formal application for dispensation from the Equality Act 2010 for the whole area.
RS to email to PW with copy to Cllr Harrison a note concerning the need for Alb PC to formally request SC to remove the excess length of yellow lines on the south side of Stn Rd  between 56 Stn Rd and a point near Shaw Lane

5. Matters arising
a) It was agreed that the Society would take up the issue of trying to get the classic telephone box currently at Shakerley, and probably to be taken away, moved to replace the “new” style one on village green in the High St which would enhance the conservation area. It was recognised that this may take some significant effort and time as several authorities will be involved.

6. AOB
a) RS was asked to add a note in our article in the parish magazine to update members on the progress of the Albrighton Swimming Pool Action Group, where we have two representatives (PW & RS).

Next  meeting:  2p.m. Monday 9th January 2017 at 31/32 High St. (Peter Woodman’s house). 

Following Meeting will be at 2pm on Monday 6th February 2017

DATES FOR YOUR DIARY: -
All future AGMs are on the second Monday of October

Public Meeting & AGM is at 7.00pm on Monday 9th October 2017