Minutes of the Committee Meeting of the
Albrighton & District Civic Society
held at 31/32 High St, Albrighton,
on Monday 9th January 2017 at 2pm

Present :      
Peter Woodman - Chairman
Rod Smith – Secretary
Mike Pitchford - Treasurer
John Bulmer
Bob Hickson
Peter Illes
David Beechey (ex-officio representing Donington-with-Boscobel PC)

1. Apologies received from Gaynor Richards, Ron Kidson, Peter Leigh and David Thomas (ex-officio representing Boningale PC)

2. Minutes of Meeting of 5th December 2016 were approved.

3. Treasurer’s Report.– MP reported that the balance at bank was £2087.74.

4. To consider progress in regard to following main issues

a) Village Entrances Scheme.
Kingswood Rd/A41Entrance – the Society paying a contractor to cut the grass was queried as it was felt that SC owned the land and should include this area in their maintenance list. ACTION: PW to ask Anne Breakwell (SC) to meet us on site to discuss what was possible.
PI reported that Alb PC had agreed to obtain large planters for placing adjacent to the “Welcome to Albrighton” signs and that these would be rented rather than purchased.

b) Eyesores.
BH reported that he would chase up Royal Mail for the remaining two Post Boxes to be painted. ACTION: BH
BH reported that Cross Rd would be resurfaced this year. [Post meeting Note: SC had notified residents that the re-surfacing would take place during 3 weeks starting 9th February and would be from the High St to Albert Rd].
BH reported that the owner of the house at the corner of Windsor Rd/Woodland Close told him that she would tarmac over the untidy front garden.

c) Swimming Pool.  PW reported that there had been a meeting of the Albrighton Swimming Pool Action Group (ASPAG) on 13th December 2016 to hear the objections to the draft announcement of the Lottery Launch for the parish magazine by Cllr Sylvia Pledger, Chairman of the ASPAG. Unfortunately Cllr Pledger wanted the meeting cancelled as she had not agreed to such a meeting. As the issue was urgent and needed to be resolved the meeting went ahead with 5 members and the announcement was finalised and published. The launch was set for Saturday 28th January. The Society expressed support for the team organising the launch and several Society members were trustees of the lottery or volunteers carrying out the launch.

d) Station Pedestrian access Ramp. RS reported that there would be a next meeting of the Ramp Team on 11th January 2017 which was to check on progress with the actions agreed at the November meeting

e) Public phone box on the Green (one of Albrighton’s Conservation Areas).
PW reported that Donington PC wished to retain the classic box at Shackerley and the Society noted this and supported their wish. However this meant that a classic box would need to be found (and possibly purchased) to exchange for the modern box on the Green.
ACTION: PW will contact the Post Office to learn how a classic box may be obtained

5. Matters arising
a) Parking.
GR had sent a note with her views.
The committee wanted to try to get the request for a Comprehensive Review of Traffic Issues in the District accepted by SC and Alb PC. SC have just announced that they will “extend” the current Planning Report from 2026 to 2036 and it may be possible to propose this as part of the public consultation for the ‘extension’. Parish councillor members advised that Alb PC is soon due to discuss the possibility of preparing a new Village Plan.
ACTION All. A decision of where we will put our effort to be postponed until after the PC’s discussion.

b) SC Bus Strategy.
SC had published on its website a consultation document and a questionnaire. Many committee members had tried to complete the questionnaire but it was so confusing and many parts seemed to be not relevant and none had succeeded. Parish councillor members agreed to raise this unsatisfactory matter at a parish council meeting in order to see if the PC could bring this to the attention of SC. ACTION: DB, PI & PW

6. AOB
a) MP reported that he had been asked to make a presentation of ADCS’s work at a meeting of the Rotary Club on 23rd January 2017 and he would use the information in the Promotional Folder and the List of Eyesores to show what the Society had done and is trying to do.


Next  meeting:  2p.m. Monday 6th February 2017 at 31/32 High St. (Peter Woodman’s house). 

Following Meeting will be at 2pm on Monday 6th March 2017

All future AGMs are on the second Monday of October

Public Meeting & AGM is at 7.00pm on Monday 9th October 2017