Minutes of the Committee Meeting of the
Albrighton & District Civic Society
held at 31/32 High St, Albrighton,
on Monday 6th February 2017 at 2pm

Present :      
Peter Woodman - Chairman
Rod Smith – Secretary
Mike Pitchford - Treasurer
John Bulmer
Bob Hickson
Peter Illes
Ron Kidson
Phyl Woodman
Gaynor Richards

1. Apologies received from Peter Leigh, David Beechey (ex-officio representing Donington-with-Boscobel PC) and David Thomas (ex-officio representing Boningale PC)

2. Minutes of Meeting of 9th January 2017 were approved.

3. Treasurer’s Report.– MP reported that the balance at bank remained at £2087.74.

4. To consider progress in regard to following main issues

a) Village Entrances Scheme.
Kingswood Rd/A41Entrance – JB reported that JB/MP/RS had met Anne Breakwell (SC) on site and she will check with her manager (Graham Downes) to see if they can cut down the high weed growth and then regularly cut the grass. She asked for a drawing of the location of the trees and bushes which the Society had planted a couple of years ago. She will send a Plan to RS which JB will mark up and will be sent back to her. She asked if we could get a quotation from the person who the Society paid to cut back the weeds previously and would check if SC could pay it for this year. ACTION: RS/JB/MP

b) Eyesores.
BH reported that the Post Office would paint the remaining two post boxes. BH had again reminded the proposed bakery in Station Rd that the facia boards need painting.

c) Swimming Pool.  PW reported that a Friends of Albrighton Swimming Pool (FASP) had been established and that it had set up a Lottery, under licence from SC, and that the launch would be on 28th January 2017. (This lottery idea had been suggested by Roger Rudman and David Alcock at the Society’s AGM last October)

d) Station Pedestrian access Ramp. RS reported that there would be a next meeting of the Ramp Team on 22nd February 2017 which was to check on progress with the actions agreed at the January meeting – main action was for Albrighton PC to obtain an estimate of any additional premium for the ramp to be included in their Public Liability insurance policy.

e) Public phone box on the Green (one of Albrighton’s Conservation Areas).
PW reported that SC had advised that any council or suitable organisation could “adopt” a box for £1 and could then take control of it. PW reported that the cost to purchase a classic red box was about £3000. The committee decided that this high cost effectively prevents the Society continuing with this project to replace the modern box with a classic red one.


5. Matters arising

a) Traffic matters including Parking.
PI suggested that the SAMDev Extension Report was likely to focus on housing and that a better place for the Society to try to have our request for a Comprehensive Review of Traffic Issues in the District included was in the forthcoming new Albrighton Place Plan.

b) SC Bus Strategy.
PI reported that he had brought the unsatisfactory SC Questionnaire to the attention of the Albrighton PC which is responding to SC.

6. AOB

a) Shropshire Health Service – a public meeting to be held in Shifnal.
The committee decided that this matter was not a key focus of a Civic Society and would be more appropriately dealt with by another organisation – perhaps one or more of the Parish Councils and the Albrighton Patients Group?

b) Solar Farm
PI reported that this project is to go ahead.


Next  meeting:  2p.m. Monday 6th March 2017 at 31/32 High St. (Peter Woodman’s house). 

Following Meeting will be at 2pm on Monday 3rd April 2017

All future AGMs are on the second Monday of October

Public Meeting & AGM is at 7.00pm on Monday 9th October 2017