Minutes of the Committee Meeting of the
Albrighton & District Civic Society
held at 31/32 High St, Albrighton,
on Monday 6th March 2017 at 2pm

Present :      
Peter Woodman - Chairman
Rod Smith – Secretary
Mike Pitchford - Treasurer
Bob Hickson
Peter Illes
Ron Kidson
Phyl Woodman
David Beechey (ex-officio representing Donington-with-Boscobel PC)
David Thomas (ex-officio representing Boningale PC)

1. Apologies received from Gaynor Richards, John Bulmer and Peter Leigh

2. Minutes of Meeting of 6th February 2017 were approved.

3. Treasurer’s Report.– MP reported that there had been expenditure of £170 for major weed & grass cutting at the Kingswood Rd/A41 Entrance and a donation of £100 received from Albrighton & District Rotary Club Entrance. The balance at bank is £2017.74.
MP reported that he had made a request to the Coop Store for £265 grant towards plants for the planters. Cost of a banner to be sought and then a possible request for its funding to be sought from RAF Cosford.
ACTION: PW to write to Rotary Club to thank them for their donation.

4. To consider progress in regard to following main issues

a) Village Entrances Scheme.
Kingswood Rd/A41Entrance – MP reported that the £170 as mentioned above was to give the area a severe cut back around the trees and shrubs which the Society had planted to prepare the area for SC to then add this to their regular grass cutting operations as agreed with Anne Breakwell (SC).
Entrances at Patshull Lane/A464. DT reported that some residents of Boningale were concerned about the height of the roses which was obstructing sight lines at the junction and they preferred them to be removed. The following was proposed and agreed by committee and DT will put this to Boningale residents for their agreement and report back before implementation:-

  1. Boningale residents or their suitable person will remove the roses at end October/early November and hand them to JB’s team for planting elsewhere
  2. ADCS will then replant the area created with grass seed.
  3. Meanwhile Boningale residents will cut back the roses now. 

[Note. Final text for this item subject to checking by DT]

b) Eyesores.
Street Signs. BH reported that the responsibility for maintaining and painting them rests with SC and that cleaning rests with the parish council.
ACTION: BH to make a schedule to pass to SC
ACTION: PW to write again to the owners of the ex-Barclays Bank building to press them to get on with their building work

c) Swimming Pool.  PW reported that he and Chris Edwards (SC) had been asked by the Albrighton Swimming Pool Action Group to work together to create a Charitable Trust to move control of the pool and changing rooms from SC/School to the local trust. Should ADCS be asked to be a trustee then the committee will decide this in due course.
Friends of Albrighton Swimming Pool (FASP) has now got 159 people signed up for a year of the monthly draw.

d) Station Pedestrian access Ramp. RS reported that there was a meeting of the Ramp Team on 22nd February 2017 which was to check on progress with the actions agreed at the January meeting – main actions are for Albrighton PC to obtain an estimate of any additional premium for the ramp to be included in their Public Liability insurance policy and to request that SC remove the excessive length of yellow lines at the south side of Station Rd between No.56 and a point near Shaw Lane.

e) Traffic matters including Parking.
One of the Society’s projects is to try to have our request for a Comprehensive Review of Traffic Issues in the District included in County and/or Village Plans. A new Albrighton Place Plan about to be prepared.
DB reported that the action here is for Michael Ward to start off the task of producing a new Place Plan.
Shropshire Local Plan – SC are asking what developments are needed. Cllrs DB/SP/PW are preparing a proposal on behalf of Albrighton PC.

5. Matters arising

a) Albrighton Station Building on Platform 1 (to Wolverhampton)
Alison Taylor of the Platform Alehouse had invited the Society to send representatives to a meeting on 9th March 2017with NR and LMT to discuss NR’s offer to open part of the building if she wanted to install a drinks machine and LMT’s scheme for adopt-a-station.
ACTION: PW and RS will attend.
6. AOB

a) Albrighton Fayre 8th July 2017
ACTION: MP will book our usual place at the booking meeting on 2nd May 2017. Forms and details are available from the Fayre committee in advance.

b) Litter Pick
ACTION: MP has arranged that Andrea McWilliams (SC) will provide equipment and SC will collect the litter for disposal and the Scouts will be asked to help.
ACTION: PI will ask RAF Cosford if they will pick along Newport Rd

Next  meeting:  2p.m. Monday 3rd April 2017 at 31/32 High St. (Peter Woodman’s house). 

Following Meeting will be at 2pm on Monday 8th May 2017 (1st Monday is a public holiday)

All future AGMs are on the second Monday of October

Public Meeting & AGM is at 7.00pm on Monday 9th October 2017