Minutes of the Committee Meeting of the
Albrighton & District Civic Society
held at 31/32 High St, Albrighton,
on Monday 5th June 2017 at 2pm

Present :      
Peter Woodman - Chairman
Rod Smith – Secretary
Mike Pitchford - Treasurer
Bob Hickson
Peter Illes
Ron Kidson
Gaynor Richards
Phyl Woodman

1. Apologies received from David Beechey (ex-officio representing Donington-with-Boscobel PC) and David Thomas (ex-officio representing Boningale PC)

 2. Minutes of Meeting of 8th May 2017 were approved.

3. Treasurer’s Report.– MP reported that £25 had been paid to the Fayre Committee for our stall pitch and he had received a £255 grant from the Co-op for plants. ACTION: PW to write with our thanks. Bank balance £2071.61.

4. To consider progress in regard to following main issues

a) Village Entrances Scheme.
Entrances at Patshull Lane/A464.
At an agreed date the roses to be removed in the autumn by Boningale residents and re-planted at Albrighton Primary School. ACTION: DT

Kingswood Rd/A41. An agreement with Anne Breakwell (SC) was that if the Society cut the very long grass down to a manageable height SC would then maintain the grass by regi=ular cutting. The Society paid our contractor to cut down the long grass ready for SC.. However SC’s Contractor had not appeared and the grass is now becoming long and unmanageable again.  MP & PW had had many phone calls to SC to get them to have their Contractor cut the grass, all as promised by Anne Breakwell. AB on long absence so Nicky Cheek has now agreed to organise their Contractor to do the work and has added this area to their schedule. ACTION: MP/PW will monitor the situation

b) Eyesores.
BH reported that Steve Browne at SC was not responding to his nor to PW’s emails for updates.
ACTION: PW to continue to ask Steve Browne to come to a next committee meeting.
Cleaning/ maintenance of Road Names signs: BH needs a contact in SC to deal with and will if necessary make a schedule of what needs doing depending on how SC say they will carry out the work.
PI noted that residents should tell the PC Clerk about any potholes/damaged bollards etc.

Ex Barclays Bank. ACTION:PW a) to write to Alb PC with the list of actions/correspondence with the owner to ask that the PC also write to increase the pressure and  b) to write to thank owners for blanking out the windows and to now ask them to paint the frontage especially where the Barclays sign has been removed.

c) Swimming Pool.  PW reported that the Friends of Albrighton Swimming Pool (FASP) Lottery was up and running and a banner is to be purchased to encourage more to sign up. Banner to be displayed for short periods at various locations around the district.
FASP and the Swimming Club will share a stall at Fayre day.
FASP has arranged a concert at Albrighton Primary school for Saturday 14th October 2017 to raise funds.

e) Traffic matters including Parking.
One of the Society’s projects is to try to have the Society’s request for a Comprehensive Review of Traffic Issues in the District included in County and/or Village Plans.
ACTION: We wait until the work for the new Albrighton Place Plan is started and then make a new approach. DB had previously advised that the Alb PC Clerk is responsible to start this work.

f) Albrighton Station Adopt-a-Station Scheme. ACTION: RS to ask the LM officer for suitable dates for her to make a presentation in Albrighton to the Society and to councillors of Albrighton and Donington-with-Boscobel at a public meeting organised jointly by the Civic Society and the Historical Society

5. Matters arising


6. AOB

a) MP reported that the Rotary Club runs a scheme to eliminate polio. Rotary has offered to give purple crocuses to the Society for us to plant in the wide part of the village green opposite Walter Smith’s Butchers -  MP has accepted the offer and members agreed to help plant them.

b) Margaret Brookes of Brooklands Rd had emailed the Society to say she is to start a campaign for an improved bus service. It was agreed that if she gathers enough support then the Society will also support it. It was felt that the two PC’s may then also be asked to lend their support.

c) Banner. BH tabled two options and one was chosen. ACTION: BH will seek a grant for it.

d) Promotional Brochure. BH asked if a different layout may freshen up the now 3 year old document. All felt that BH had done a great job and that the current layout and style had been developed over time and it did work well and so no new layout needed only some updating to the facts. ACTION: RS to send to BH the PP used by MP for the presentation to the Rotary Club which did include some updates.

e) Fayre Day. ACTION: ALL to provide the same equipment they provided last year. ACTION: RS to add the Renew/Join Slip at the end of an article in the Parish Magazine which would also include note on Adopt-a-Stn, Statement re liaison between ADCS and Alb PC, Margaret’s bus campaign.

[Post Meeting Note. PW and RS discussed with JB if we could run the Flower Competition. It was agreed that JB would lead the judging in mid August with deadline for entries to PhylW by 7th Aug and RS to put an article in the Parish Mag for the next two issues].

Next  meeting:  2p.m. Monday 3rd July 2017 at 31/32 High St. (Peter Woodman’s house). 

Following Meeting will be at 2pm on Monday 7th August 2017.

All future AGMs are on the second Monday of October

Public Meeting & AGM is at 7.00pm on Monday 9th October 2017