Minutes of the Committee Meeting of the
Albrighton & District Civic Society
held at 31/32 High St, Albrighton,
on Monday 3rd July 2017 at 2pm

Present :      
Peter Woodman - Chairman
Rod Smith – Secretary Bob Hickson
Peter Illes
Ron Kidson
Phyl Woodman
David Beechey (ex-officio representing Donington-with-Boscobel PC)

1. Apologies received from Mike Pitchford , Gaynor Richards, and David Thomas (ex-officio representing Boningale PC)

 2. Minutes of Meeting of 5th June 2017 were approved.

3. Treasurer’s Report.– MP on holiday.

4. To consider progress in regard to following main issues

a) Village Entrances Scheme.
Entrance at Patshull Lane/A464.
At an agreed date the roses to be removed in the autumn by Boningale residents and re-planted at Albrighton Primary School. ACTION: DT

Kingswood Rd/A41.
ACTION: all to check if the grass has been cut as promised by SC.

b) Eyesores.
ACTION: PW to continue to ask Steve Browne to come to a next committee meeting.
RK reported that some pedestrians crossing Bushfield Rd near St Joseph’s church have found vehicles travelling towards the High St arrive suddenly from round a blind bend created by a new 6 ft high fence along the side of the car wash. ACTION: RK to write to SC Highways department.


c) Swimming Pool.  
SC Cabinet Member for Leisure, Lezley Picton, answered RK’s email and confirmed that the officers will continue to support the local effort to retain the Albrighton pool. As it has already been agreed by the Albrighton Swimming Pool Action Group (ASPAG) that Chris Edwards (SC) will work with PW to transfer control of the pool to a local trust this is understood to mean that this will continue. At the next meeting of ASPAG this will be noted.

d) Traffic matters including Parking.
One of the Society’s projects is to try to have the Society’s request for a Comprehensive Review of Traffic Issues in the District included in County and/or Village Plans.
ACTION: We wait until the work for the new Albrighton Place Plan is started and then make a new approach. DB had previously advised that the Alb PC Clerk is responsible to start this work.

e) Albrighton Station Adopt-a-Station Scheme.
RS reported that Faye Lambert (LM) will make a presentation at the public meeting on 19th July. The main item of the meeting is a presentation by David Millar of AMCO on the removal of the old bridge deck, while leaving the 1849 iron parapets and their support beams in place, and its replacement by a new deck. The meeting was organised in conjunction with the Historical Society and Ernie Howell will speak on the history of the station to provide some context.

5. Matters arising

a) It was reported that some vehicles speed in Cross Road. ACTION:RS will write as Chairman of the Cross Road Traffic Group to SC to ask if they will again set up their speed visor on the post in Cross Rd (opposite the ‘semis’).

b) Margaret Brookes campaign for an improved bus service.
PI noted that the current bus from Wolverhampton which goes through Perton, Shifnal and to Telford could simply be routed through Albrighton.
Margaret has gathered more than 300 signatures to her petition.
ACTION:PW to propose to Alb PC that they write to Arriva and Banga in support of an improved service.
ACTION:DB to propose to Donington-with-Boscobel PC that they write to Arriva and Banga in support of an improved service

c) School Awards Scheme 2017 Local Bird Life
Winner of Crawford Cup: Albrighton Primary School.
Runner Up with Crawford Shield: St Mary’s CE Primary School.
Presentation will be at the stall on Fayre Day.

d) Flower Competition.
The arrangements have been made in conjunction with John Bulmer who will again judge the entries. An announcement was put in the July Parish Magazine but there is no magazine in August.


6. AOB

a) Fayre Day. ACTION: ALL to provide the same equipment they provided last year.



Next  meeting:  2p.m. Monday 7th August 2017 at 31/32 High St. (Peter Woodman’s house). 

Following Meeting will be at 2pm on Monday 4th September 2017.



All future AGMs are on the second Monday of October

Public Meeting & AGM is at 7.00pm on Monday 9th October 2017